Kickin JennyV's Pig

Jumping on the "Kick The Pig" wagon. Mostly it's about losing weight, but really it's about living a healthier lifestyle.

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Vegetable Soup


I don't measure, I just toss it together. This is the first time I've ever made vegetable soup and it turned out really good.



  1. In a large pot, saute chopped onion and celery (with the tops) in a couple tablespoons of butter.
  2. Turn up the heat.
  3. Season 4 meaty beef short ribs with salt and pepper - sear them on all sides.
  4. Pour in some vegetable juice (like V8) as much as you like.
  5. Add a can of diced tomatoes.
  6. Add some chopped vegetables - carrots, potatoes, cabbage, etc.
  7. Add a half a bag of frozen mixed vegetables (corn, beans, carrots).
  8. Thin with a little water if you desire (or stock).
  9. Season with a packet of onion soup mix (or any vegetable soup mix).
  10. Bring it to a boil, then turn down and simmer for a couple hours.
  11. Chill.
  12. Skim any fat - it will harden on top.
  13. Pull the short ribs and shred the meat into the soup.
  14. Re-heat and enjoy!

It might also be good with some barley added or maybe some pasta, alphabets or something small.


I made this soup last night, refridgerated it until today and enjoyed having it for lunch. It was easy and is quite healthy and very filling. I'm well on my way with my goal to consume more vegetables this week!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger mom of 2 said...

Thanks for posting the recipe! I'm going to the store later this week and I'm going to get the ingredients and make some...it sounds so yummy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home