Kickin JennyV's Pig

Jumping on the "Kick The Pig" wagon. Mostly it's about losing weight, but really it's about living a healthier lifestyle.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

New Week = New Challenge


I've been thinking... I need to exercise my awareness and discipline when it comes to temptations. Hubby is skinny skinny skinny and eats generous portions of everything including snacks both healthy and not. He loves cookies and brownies and ice cream, and cheese sticks, and chips. Not all together mind you. I have tried to outlaw unhealthy snacks, but when I do, he resorts to bringing home McDonalds and that is probably worse. There has to be some happy medium!


On one hand I think he should give these up in support of me, or maybe hide them... on the other hand, I need to stand up for myself. He doesn't necessarily eat all this in front of me. He would be very mindful of such behavior because he does support my efforts. I must train myself to look past those items. How does one convince oneself that carrot sticks are more tasty than potato chips? I must keep the healthy perspective!


The other day I wanted to dip into the candy jar at work. I amused myself by "dipping into the candy jar" touching a candy bar or two, but not lifting them out of the jar. I proudly stated "There, I dipped into the candy jar, but I just didn't take anything out of it." (Pat myself on the back)


So this weeks challenge is to recognize such temptations and to meet them head-on and either refuse or make a better selection. Got any pointers?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:15 PM, Blogger odat_kim said...

I found cutting sugar right out and simple carbs (i.e. white flour, white rice) right out of my diet, results that I don't crave any more of the low quality foods and people could eat right in front of me things I love and I had no problem with it. They could eat pizza, apple pie, cheese cake... I didn't have the smallest of cravings for it, none at all, it was awesome.
Kim

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger odat_kim said...

Oh the time it takes to cut the craving is 1-3 days of 0 sugars and simple carbs (although complex carbs can lengthen the time it takes).

What to look for on labels is "sugar" anything ending in "ose" is also a sugar. rice, oat, flour wheat and corn that don't begin with the word "whole", so you're looking for whole wheat flour not wheat flour, whole oats not oats etc. For me starting on Saturday is sometimes easier, especially if hubby goes out and I don't see what he eats, much easier to control the craving the first few days that way, then Monday I'm set to go at work.
Kim

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Jthemilker said...

Thanks for the tips. I shall give this a whirl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home